Monday, May 17, 2010

And Then There Were Eight....!

Last week I painted # 7 and # 8 chair seat...I have two remaining for my customers
ten chairs....It has been oh so much fun to come up with a variation on the theme of these
flowers and vines. Twisting and turning ....it is amazing how many combinations you can come up with . This is a nice way of having a set of chair seats blend and keep your interest without the obvious drastic change some chair sets take or the dreaded...12 of the exact same design...shoot me now !..I have done those sets....and believe me , I almost have changed professions towards the end...Two of any chair seat that has the same design is my limit....and it does help sometimes when the project is spread out over time.....and then there is the just plain strange ...the winner being.......the head of household chair, complete with a realistic robins nest with three eggs nestled in the nest..
the view is from above ,so when you sit and then rise from the chair it looks like you were keeping the eggs warm...don't ask...because I didn't...I was much younger , today I would have asked....At least it wasn't flowers...lol...just kidding I like flowers, but after painting needlepoint for 38 years....flowers , in every shape, color, type and form are not all that interesting...although I have noticed a new tread of some designers to have so many colors in a flower, that it looks like it is bleeding....I am not sure what that is about...other than wanting to use every color fiber in existence...just a fad I guess , since flowers are much more subtle than that...just my take...the stylised flower, like in the old tapestries is more to my liking...and certainly better looking in needlepoint...but that too is just my opinion....I like everyone else has their likes and dislikes...
Anyway...two more of this set and I am done...I have enjoyed the freedom the customer has given me....to just use my own judgement...I always run a sketch by her, but she has never changed one, to my surprise...I has been a real pleasure to work with this nice lady from San Francisco....this is a project I have really enjoyed...

2 comments:

pamelaric said...

Wow!! How beautiful they are! They really do all look very different but certainly look like a set. What a terrific way to go...not all matchy-matchy. Not sure I'd have the endurance to stitch that many chair seats, but would love to see them finished. Think she may send you a pic or two that you could post?
Pamela, Tucson

Possibilities, Etc. said...

These are absolutely gorgeous. I'm with you on the YUK trendy flowers.