Thursday, August 5, 2010

If you live long Enough !!!!!


I am sitting here looking at an article I saved from the Parade portion of the Sunday Washington Post....Just amazed at what I am looking at...

I spent all my Summers from the age of 5 off the southern coast of Maine on a little Island connected to the mainland called South Harpswell.....

for as long as I can remember we use to collect pieces of colored glass that the ocean had turned and smoothed and frosted....we would squeal with delight when we would fine a red piece or pink....we would fill coffee cans and beach bags with the stuff...haul it back to the cottage ...wash it and then fill the old water jugs...my mother would then get the hardware and turn these filled jugs into lamps....they were pretty , but we hardly felt the need to put them in a safe when summers end came and we closed up the cottage for the Winter and headed back to DC...It seems now that this is a craze that has captured many...they are called glassers...and the colored glass "mermaid's tears"...lol...they hold seminars and outings and gather at different times...the best being October when the sea spits up more of the little treasures...since recycling has become the norm and glass coke bottles...actually glass anything has become rare..these little gems are harder to come across on any beach.....

sea glass....OK pretty but hardly diamonds...but the you can't eat diamonds or use for fuel....it is just the worth that man has given the little sparklers....so now it is sea glass...obviously the best places are where people behaved like pigs...tossing their glass into the sea...

this makes laugh....just think if I had held on to all my glass I would rule the world...lol...as it is

I am not sure what happen to the lamps...my brother manages the cottage rental these days...I must alert him to lock up the lamps...lol...life is just way too funny some days...
for a look go to....Parade.com/seaglass...I think if the lamps are still in the cottage ...we four should split the loot...oh my my inheritance...lol..

No comments: