Thursday, August 18, 2011

Pictures...

Over the years , I have done many custom pieces in a variety of subject matter, all sizes shapes and canvas count...the early years were filled with trying to make your mark as a designer. Sometimes you took photos but with no digital camera at that time only 35mm , it would get costly to photo every single canvas...too bad...when you come across some truly old pictures you are always struck by one thing...if the piece was large and if complicated, you wonder how you had the time or patience to paint the dam thing...especially since I paint every single stitch....my husband says I go into this trance like state and am so focused that it is like I am not here anymore...lol...sounds like something out of a bad sci fi movie...but he is right...I am focused...maybe that is why I am such a nut ball when I leave the drawing table...I hate routine, and any household chore that needs to be done more than once a month...lol...we keep a tidy house only because having your studio in the house would be an utter disaster if things just spread out and oozed out into every room....
I am a constant organizer with the business though...and after two big moves in the space of eight months...I run a tight ship...always looking for more ways to make things easier to find...my business runs on the visual so pictures sketches and color charts will always be a part of the mix...I have huge notebooks in shocking pink that hold digital pictures..sketches and hard 35mm pictures of all the wholesale line I started in 2000....these all have back up negatives...and all the digital have back up discs...it isn't enough to have the photo you need all the back up....I keep all this current with adding new designs all the time...downloading from the camera cropping and cataloging all...if you let it slide as a designer it would become one big mess...occasionally something gets the same stock numbers as I set the numbers here...but since we keep a current stock,size , and price list we usually catch this error quickly...so being a designer is a mix of creating and being a sort of an accountant for your work...and yes some days driving a cab sounds like heaven...oh reality check...back to the drawing board , I am painting a shaped hedge hog.....








No comments: