Monday, June 23, 2014

A Great Childhood Memory

The only thing I miss here in Tucson, is the ocean. The ocean has always played a big part in my life .Every summer from age 5 , my parents packed the station wagon with summer gear and were transported by my father to South Harpswell, Maine ,a small Island off the southern coast of Maine. As kids, four of us, me being the oldest...two sisters 11 months apart in age and my baby brother,  spent a magical summer, catching crabs,boating, swimming and endless games with the local kids that lived there year round. These kids were
so different from the DC crowd...earthy, my mother would say..lol . Always barefoot, and just enough clothes on for modesty.... The boys always sporting a bandaid, or black eye . In my teens these were the boys my mother frowned on to date in the summer. They were sons of fishermen. They were dangerous and oh so earthy. I flirted terribly when I turned 16, but that was all...they were a little too different from my Bethesda Chevy Chase boys  . It was exciting to think about being courted, but even I had enough sense to know they were a little too dangerous for my limited experience, and as my mother pointed out  ,most of  local island girls my age married young because of pregnacy. Every summer their was always gossip and a new baby at the beach. It was all very foreign to my life plan, which always included college  and a career. It was like very racy papperback. You have to realize that this was a different time, the 1950-1960's.
The island was connected by a man made cause-way ( bridge/road)...so supplies were no problem.At least once a week we would take our laundry to the nearest town..Brunswick ..Our Victorian summer cottage was on a shared artisan well with the cottage next to it, so a washing machine was not an option......too much strain on the well, especially since our household consisted of 4 kids,,,, After the laundry, we were treated to a trip to Mike's Hot-Dog cart on Main Street....makes my mouth water just thinking about a long red steamed hot dog in a warm bun with mustard, onions and his famous relish. Next was to shop at the A & P, and any errands, including a trip a wonderful five and dime. When I started to seriously draw and paint, we would visit the little art shop for some very precious supplies. I loved this little shop, even though the supplies were  over priced and in short supply.
The Coast of Maine is just loaded with artists and many would display their work in the shop window, so the shop was like a mini art gallery to boot. My mother, being my biggest fan, would always take a look and , whisper  under her breath , that my work was so much better...I would blush , but secretly loved that she had so much faith in my blooming talent.
These trips to town were always made with a look to the tides. High Tide was never to be missed , for our swim of the day. This would determine if we lingered in town or made a quick trip. If the tide was in early, we would have a quick swim before town.....I can't tell you how important the water was to us......even though it was so cold none of the grown-ups ventured in past their ankles, unless a kid was in distress
We policed ourselves, me being in charge as the oldest and our parents insisted we all  got our lifesaving training from the local lady that, taught a class every summer.The four of us were like fish, we all loved the water and could not think of spending a summer land-bound!
One very special thing the island had to offer was the little country store down by the town dock. Penny candy was the big lure for all the kids. We would scour  the beach for empty pop bottles, scrub them,  dry them and take them into to store for cash to buy our beloved candy, This was a great pastime especially, since the adults frowned upon too much candy, which was never the case ,because we always pooled the money and we all shared in the booty. We were like pirates hunting for treasure .As city kids this was so
foreign to us ...we loved it. Looking at this photo , I can transport myself in time, entering this store, with it's
old wood smell, the floors  with age ,dipped and sagged from exposure to the sea air. The candy was displayed in big jars and an old glass case, that was always covered in sticky hand prints .Oh what a wonderful memory.
The cottage is still in the family, my brother owns it and rents it out to guests seasonally.My sisters are on the west coast and my parents are gone.
It is great to have such happy memories frozen in time, things are so different. As  kid we would count the weeks after Christmas, till we would be in Maine for the summer. At the time, I could never conceive of not spending a summer in my beloved Maine.Oh well , I have such a clear vision of those magical Summers, that all I have to do is close my eyes and my mind can transport me there, in a flash, I even think I hear the ocean and smell the salt air.....as an artist this is a simple task, since my mind is my drawing board...lol ..Even though Tucson has no waters edge, it has the feel of the beach and you simply have to believe that beach is just around the corner waiting.....   

No comments: