Sunday, August 1, 2010

A Woodie !

Sad thing is that there are kids that have never seen or much less ridden in a Station wagon...the first car I ever remember was a two tone..baby blue and white Chevy Station wagon...my parents would pile us all in the back, with the back seat down flat and we would have a bed/play area, while we were off to Maine for the summer...all the luggage was packed on the top of the car, which my father would fuss with the whole trip...a large green weatherproof tarp with masses of rope would cover the luggage rack, and a flap would come loose and my father would have to stop and retie ..it was a constant fussing, usually my parents would have words...it seem to send them both into a flap....my father would have us all up at 3 am and then off we would go... we would do the trip from DC in one day arriving at the Summer Cottage in late afternoon...a little grimy...but well worth the long drive....one such trip, we were going through the Holland Tunnel and from a truck in front of us (must of been a refrigeration truck) a big plop of water splashed on our windshield .... my little sister screamed that the tunnel had sprung a leak...my father was yelling and we were all screaming all the while my mother was wishing she was not in the car...it was all to funny later...but at the time we kids were really scared!.........station wagons were a big part of my growing up...I learned how to drive in one on the back roads in Maine before I was sixteen and old enough to get a learners permit....when you learn to drive a stick shift station wagon and park it in the city, there isn't any car you can't drive...lol...
the custom Woodie is on 13st and is 11 x 14' , and I enjoyed painting it...!!!!can't always say that...but this was fun and I daydreamed the whole time of my youth and just how much I miss a station wagon..SUVs are not even remotely as fun to drive...the blue and white Chevy had fins!!!
and the first summer I had my drivers license, I looked so cool in my shades driving my parents Chevy station wagon..I think it was red....anyway, I thought I would never ever be that happy again in my whole life....looking back it was definitely a high point ..lol...

No comments: