Friday, February 25, 2011

Great Memories


This is from a slide that I took from our boat pulling away from South Harpswell...the island that our family's summer home in Maine was located....our cottage is the white one in the middle with the gray roof...this was taken at high tide and probably in the late 60's....I came across these slides when we were packing for our big move and had them put on a disc...I just love seeing old photos like this...the last time I was at the cottage I was newly married and we were living in Maine while my husband built passive solar homes...a long time ago...we are getting ready to celebrate our 32ND anniversary next month...how time flies....
I spent every summer on the island from the age of 6 to 18.... anytime I want to wander in my mind to a place I love , I let my mind drift back....these summers were perfect and cherish every memory.....so different from the city ( DC)...we ran wild... (my two younger sisters and my baby brother)..fishing swimming, boating.....living like Gypsies...my mother felt we were safe on the island and we checked in with her during the day...but the days were ours to fill...I spent a lot of time drawing and painting into my teens.......taking the boat out to the outer islands ....just me and my sketch book , a tuna sandwich with a thermos filled with Hawaiian punch.........to this day whenever I have tuna fish it makes me think of the summers in Maine...

No comments: